Monday, October 15, 2007

Bottle safety

Since I've made the switch to mostly formula I've been doing a lot of reading on all of the new info about bottles made with BPA and their safety. I would encourage you to do the same. It may not be as much of an issue for those who primarily breastfeed but now that I am mostly bottle feeding I am not going to take any chances. I feel like a majority of bottle companies are not being completely honest or proactive about these new developments. I know that some of these things can be overblown but once you start reading there is a TON of info on the subject. Also the people that are saying it's not a problem like the JPMA, are people who make money off of selling these products so it's hard to not wonder about their impartiality.

What tipped the scales for me is that Baby Bargains, a very well known and respected book on baby gear and products has revoked their endorsement of BPA containing bottles. This includes major brands such as Avent and Dr. Brown's that I know most people use.

We had been using Medela (which are BPA free) and Avent. I am throwing away our Avent bottles. It's just not worth the risk.

The Baby Bargains blog has a lot of info on the subject, including the fact that some of the companies are set to start making BPA free bottles as early as next year. This leads me to believe that they know there is a problem. Why else change?
http://baby411.typepad.com/babybargains/bottles/index.html

Born Free Bottles

With a lot of things like this I'm just like well, you can't protect yourself from everything that's bad for you, but this goes in her mouth several times a day and will be heated over and over again.

I just feel like everyone should be informed on the topic so they can make their own decision.

No comments: